Thursday 31 May 2007

Visiting 'Mahabharata' ...6 (Revisiting in 2011)

No idea why, but I had taken a break from Mahabharata!

There are many scholarly websites dealing with Mahabharata, the second longest epic known. It is fascinating to browse the map of India depicting places during Mahabharata period on thefullwiki  and the research made to fix the time of Mahabharata. I remember asking a highly respected sanskrit scholar about the possible dates of the events in the epics. His reply, 'even to think in these lines is a sin', came to me as a real surprise. According to him these epics were given to our rishis directly by God to guide us and they were timeless!

I share this quote sent to me by a friend: 'My Child,You may read or discuss scripture as much as you like. But until you forget everything, You will never live in your heart.' -Ashtavakra Gita 16:1
From "The Heart of Awareness: A Translation of the Ashtavakra Gita," by Thomas Byrom, 1990. Reprinted by arrangement with Shambhala Publications, Inc., Boston. http://www.shambhala.com/.

I hope I will be able to learn to forget everything, in the meanwhile I hope I will be able to ramble with my heart as my guide.

No comments: